The Elementary Social Studies curriculum is based on the AERO Common Core Plus Social Studies Framework , the Literacy in Social Studies Standards, and the UAE Ministry of Education Social Studies Standards.
The AERO Social Studies framework is developed around eight key learning standards:
• Standard 1 (Time, Continuity, and Change) Students will understand patterns of change and continuity, relationships between people and events through time, and various interpretations of these relationships.
• Standard 2 (Connections and Conflict) Students will understand causes and effects of interaction among societies, including trade, systems of international exchange, war, and diplomacy.
• Standard 3 (Geography) Students will understand the interactions and relationship between human societies and their physical environment.
• Standard 4 (Culture) Students will understand cultural and intellectual developments and interactions among societies.
• Standard 5 (Society and Identity) Students will understand social systems and structures and how these influence individuals.
• Standard 6 (Government) Students will understand why societies create and adopt systems of governance and how they address human needs, rights, responsibilities and citizenship.
• Standard 7 (Production, Distribution, and Consumption) Students will understand fundamental economic principles and ways in which economies are shaped by geographic and human factors.
• Standard 8 (Science, Technology, and Society) Students will understand how societies have influenced and been influenced by scientific developments and technological developments.
As the AERO standards are conceptually developed, the knowledge, skills and additional understandings for Social Studies will be developed using the Ministry of Education standards for Social Studies.