The IB Diploma Programme®
"Independent research confirms that the IB improves students’ academic achievement, as well as their probability of secondary school graduation and university enrolment, and it is clear that our students are better prepared to succeed in post-secondary settings. And, perhaps more importantly, they’re better prepared to contribute in helping to make the world a better place.” ~ Dr Siva Kumari, IB Director General.The IB Diploma Programme® is considered one of the most academically challenging pre-college/university educational programs in the world and is highly regarded by universities worldwide.
The DP curriculum is made up of six subject groups and the DP core, comprising Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) and the Extended Essay (EE). Students choose courses from the following subject groups:
- Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Group 4: Sciences
- Group 5: Mathematics
- Group 6: The Arts
As an alternative to an arts option in Group 6 students may opt to study an additional Science (G4), Individuals and Societies (G3), or a Language course (G2).
Students are expected to take three subjects at higher level (HL) and three at standard level (SL). HL and SL courses differ in scope but are measured according to the same grade descriptors, with students expected to demonstrate understanding of a greater body of knowledge and mastery of skills at higher level.
There is the option for students to follow four subjects at higher level, and the remaining at standard level.
“The three core elements of the IB Diploma Program are:
- Theory of Knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The Extended Essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, Activity, Service, in which students complete a project related to those three concepts” http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/cu...